Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Review: Mythology: The Wicked, by Helen Boswell



Title: The Wicked (Mythology #2)
Author: Helen Boswell
Genre: YA Urban Fantasy
Pub. Date: October 11, 2013

A demon with a pure heart, Micah Condie lives his life by a code of ethics, but breaking that code may be the only way for him to survive. A supernatural entity in her own right, Hope Gentry would do anything in her power to protect her loved ones, but she may be the one who puts them in peril.

When the Demon Impiorum challenges the laws that keep guardians and demons in balance, ancient enforcers of justice intervene. Micah, Hope, and their mentor Jonathan become entangled in a conspiracy that will test even the deepest love and trust.

Someone will commit an act of betrayal. Someone will forever abandon a loved one.

Someone will enter THE WICKED.

4 Stars
It puzzles me how unknown Helen Boswell’s series is. I went into it, expectations low, and was
surprised at how much I had thoroughly enjoyed the first installment. The second book, The Wicked, is as addicting as the first.

I finished this book in one day. In retrospect, I kind of regret doing that. I find myself missing all the characters that I have come to love. The non-stop action kept me glued to the pages, and this book really just made me happy.

Finally, after a few hopelessly bad books, I find myself being entertained instead of annoyed.

It’s safe to say that this is definitely one of the better YA urban fantasy books. The author handles the topic of demons effortlessly and uniquely, enough to make me read this book in one sitting. I understand their world inside and out, which is a sign that the author has written a successful fantasy book.

Admittedly, the writing is not that great. But I liked it. I liked how it was concise and got straight to the point; honestly, while reading this I really was not in the mood to read flowery writing.

The Wicked without a doubt has its own little flaws (or probably it’s just me being nit-picky), but it does not fail to entertain me. No, this book isn't life-changing. No, it’s not a literary masterpiece. It does, however, make me feel an immense amount of satisfaction. The Mythology series deserves so much more attention; it’s certainly better than the YA UF books that are traditionally published from one of those big publishing houses.

*walks away whistling with contentment*

1 comment:

  1. How have I not heard of this before??? It sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete