Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Review: The Eternity Cure, by Julie Kagawa

The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)


Title: The Eternity Cure
Author: Julie Kagawa
Genre: Dystopia/ paranormal
Pub. Date: April 30, 2013

Allison Sekemoto has vowed to rescue her creator, Kanin, who is being held hostage and tortured by the psychotic vampire Sarren. The call of blood leads her back to the beginning—New Covington and the Fringe, and a vampire prince who wants her dead yet may become her wary ally.

Even as Allie faces shocking revelations and heartbreak like she’s never known, a new strain of the Red Lung virus that decimated humanity is rising to threaten human and vampire alike. -Goodreads

Well. How did I forget to review this book?

*shrugs* I guess laziness does that to you.

Julie Kagawa, I must say, you’ve redeemed yourself. I should never have doubted your brilliance. Ever.

I don’t even know what I loved most about this book.

The action, or the suspense?

Zeke, or Kanin?

I didn’t think it was possible, but I loved Kanin even more in this book. We were just given a glimpse of him in the first book, but no worries, he is present for a majority of the novel.

There was a huge twist that I would never have anticipated during this book. I won’t say anything to ruin it, but let’s just say I got very angry over said revelation.

Do I even need to bring up how well the world-building was pulled off? Don’t worry, folks, this book lives up to the dystopian genre, and does not ignore the importance of world-building.

I liked seeing Zeke’s maturity in this book. In the previous novel, he had a childish personality of sorts; he was innocent and maybe a bit naïve. After the horrible events he witnessed, he has matured a lot, and while I wasn’t a huge fan of his new character, I felt it was fitting given the circumstances.

Jackal was hilarious. You can’t help but grow fond of this irritating character. He was, hands down, my absolute favorite character. His dry humor and sarcasm brings light to this otherwise bleak novel.

Oh, and that last scene? That gave me chills. It was too horrific, too scary to imagine. The villain was vile and evil and… villainous. He’s not lame like other villains I have come across; this guy’s legit.

Because of my fondness and affection for Zeke, the end pretty much ripped my heart apart. Just be prepared when you begin this book to have an overload of feels.

What a gripping novel. I’m surprised I was able to write a review.


4.5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I LOVED Jackal, even though he has a slightly sadistic side. His humor gave this book a lighter atmosphere to counter its dark themes. Great review!

    Daphne @ Reading Until Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ADORE Julie Kagawa but unfortunately I didnt really like this one. I read about 4 chapters and couldnt keep on going it was just "meh" for me. But, all I've read from fellow bloggers are amazing reviews so i dont know if I should give this one a shot again or not :/ Great review!! :)

    ReplyDelete